I remember when I was a mere teenager, talking to girlfriend's in high school, and none of us could even fathom being in our late 20's. We never talked about being in our 30's. It was such a stretch of the imagination to think that high relating to age, our age.
But here I am. All 31 years of life behind me.
But so many more waiting to be experienced and lived.
This past year has been filled with a few downs, some really rough ones. But also some wonderful ups, some really great ups. Collectively, this past year of my life has been one of my best years. Even with the icky downs and set backs.
Without further delay, a bullet style list and mostly in date order...
- I started my very own personal blog over on TypePad with the encouragement of Jennie.
- I braved my second attempt ever at Black Friday shopping. And failed miserably.
- October 29 I started Weight Watchers. To date I've lost around 40 lbs.
- Derick broke his arm and it took me 2 days to believe him that it really was broken.
- Jackson got his first haircut.
- I've perfected my cooking and have learned to really enjoy making things for my family. I'm still nervous about cooking for everyone else, though.
- Got a Chi flat iron and it changed my life. Ok, maybe not my life, but it sure changed my hair.
- I attempted to bake a birthday cake, twice. It was not pretty.
- I professed my love for spinach.
- I registered for BlogHer and actually attended. And had a blast. I look forward to attending again.
- We celebrated Jackson's first birthday. Kids. They grow so fast. Seriously, don't even blink, you might miss something.
- Took Derick to the emergency room and reached out to the Internet.
- I locked Jackson in the car for the first time. Hopefully the last.
- I saw the rings of Saturn. One of the top 10 amazing moments of my life to date.
- I became an Aunt for the first time to a sweet little man named Chase.
- I had surgery to remove an ovarian cyst and a tumor. Jackson started walking. I became a single momma again and I got a new tattoo.
- I joined a gym and have stuck with it on a fairly regular basis.
- I took 2 cooking classes by myself, not knowing anyone.
- My Grandpa Jack passed away.
- I decided to do a 30 day vegetarian challenge.
- I momentarily forgot how to drive. Then I made up for it.
- I had some major family unit help revamping my house.
- I embarked on a vegan diet.
- Darling Sadie was born and I fell in love.
- My tween became a teenager.
- My youngest kid started preschool.
- I saw my first meteor flying through the sky.
- I started to be the real, authentic me for the first time in my life.
I know there have been more events that I know I'm forgetting. Probably really important things that don't come to mind right now. And if you know me at all, you'd know that my memory is awful. But I really think this past year was a great year. I learned about myself, the world and life in general.
I have a lot to learn, but don't we all? Life is all about learning and changing and growing and being a better person. I hope that in some small way I've made strides to be a better person for my children, my family, my friends and myself.
My 31st year is sure to top my 30th year, I can feel it. Hard work, determination, love and a little luck will help me achieve this goal.
I do want to say thank you to my Mom. I don't express myself often and I think it's one my downfalls, but I want to tell you, Mom, that I am so glad that you are my mom. I really lucked out when mommas were being assigned because I got a good one. You are the best support system I could ever wish for and I strive to be the same for my children. Thank you for putting up with me for all these years and never ever giving up on me. There are days when you are the reason I choose to do the right thing, because I want you to be proud of me. Thank you for trying for so many years to even have me. I am lucky that those 3 days gave you to me. I love you Mom.
And in the words of my Dad (who, consequently is an awesome Dad and I totally lucked out there too...)
Happy Birthday to me
Happy Birthday to me
I look like a monkey
And I act like one too!