1.16.2008

Eat yer greens

There is one item at the grocery store that I get almost every single time I go. It's such a versatile item. It's green and comes either loose or packaged. You can also purchase it frozen and in a can. But I prefer the fresh variety.

Can you guess what it is?

It's spinach.

Oh spinach, how I love thee, let me count the ways....

I use you as salad greens. Topped with some carrots, grape tomatoes, salt, pepper and a little dressing. Delish.

I use you to get Derick to eat his greens by sneaking you into a large pot of spaghetti sauce. He doesn't even realize he's eating you.

I use you in pita's with some cooked chicken, salsa and some cheese for a healthy lunch.

I use you all steamed and chopped and mixed with some sweet fruit to sneak some greens into Jackson's diet.

I can even use you to blend into a fruit smoothie and drink you up.

I just love spinach.

What foods do you love that are versatile and what do you do with them?

8 comments:

Jess said...

I GUESSED CORRECTLY. And I am oh so proud of myself. Also, we had spinach enchiladas for dinner. With frozen spinach, though I too prefer it fresh.

Let's see, versatile foods: onions, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth. Are these foods or just like kitchen staples?

Kitteh said...

Hmmm. Versatile foods...I'm gonna have to go with mayo, cock and Reese's. All are good with just about anything, at any time. *insert evil laugh here*

Prolly not what you were looking for, right?

Anonymous said...

my roomie makes good spinach enchiladas.

Anonymous said...

Mine is red bell pepper! Loaded with all kinds of goodies!

Goes great in taco soup, stuffed pepper soup, manwiches when I'm in a hurry. I think I should buy stock in it!

Moll said...

Red onion, green onions, red pepper, romaine lettuce, tomatoes and sweet potatoes seem to go in everything I make. Especially the red onions: from fajitas to soups to roasts to omelets.

Oh yeah, garlic and chicken stock too. Speaking of which, I am supposed to make stock today!

Michelle and the City said...

hmm i don't know if i'm very versatile when it comes to cooking. does pasta count? ;)

Kristabella said...

Peanut butter. On toast, on bread, on English muffins, straight out of the jar. The only time I eat spinach is when I hide it in something. I don’t know why I don’t like it.

Thomas said...

How is Texas these days? I was born there.