1.04.2008

Books!!

I just finished reading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. It was almost 1,000 pages of goodness.

Chances are I wouldn't have ever read the book, but I felt compelled to after a much debated topic on a message board I belong to. Several people on the message board were just appalled that this book was all about killing God and going against the church.

Hearing that and knowing the first book in this series, The Golden Compass, just came out as a movie, I just had to read it.

Not because I don't believe in God or want him obliterated. I just wanted to read it out of curiosity.

I'm glad I did. It was a descriptive and interesting book. There were different worlds and strange creatures and bravery and such detail that I just ate it all up. I highly recommend it.

:::::::::

The next book I intend on reading is Upton Sinclair's Oil!. One of Jennie's friends recommended it and I always appreciate book recommendations. On my way home this evening, I stopped and picked it up at the Barnes & Noble. I read Sinclair's book, The Jungle a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so I think I will like Oil!, too.

:::::::::

And just so you don't think I don't read cheesy girly books, I bought Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic & Baby. This is the kind of book I'll totally read at home in the bathtub with bubbles up to my eyebrows and Michael Bolton playing on the CD player but I'll never NEVER take it into public. I'll save books like Beowulf to take in public with me just so I look all worldly and smart. (Seriously though, I never intend on reading Beowulf.)

:::::::::

Lastly, I've been reading Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love because Oprah said to, and I'm a good obedient girl. I have to say, I don't love it. I just KNEW I would because scores of women have found the strength to do amazing things after reading this book. It must be powerful, right? Maybe it's just me, but I just can't connect with the book. I find Gilbert's writing funny and entertaining but I just can't get into it. I'm about 3/4 of the way done, so maybe I will grown to connect with it. I hate to not finish a book, but I'm getting close to finishing this and setting it aside.

:::::::::

Is it obvious I love love love love books? It totally should be.

4 comments:

Raven said...

Wills is on book three right now. He's told me bits and pieces and I don't think I'll be reading it after he finishes.

I have a couple waiting on the shelves for me.

Le Petit Chic said...

Oooh, I'm currently reading Eat, Pray, Love and I adore it so far! Although I'm only still in Itay :)

Jess said...

I can't bring myself to even start Eat Pray Love. It just... I don't know. It LOOKS like the kind of book that everyone loves except me. And you, apparently.

Anonymous said...

I adore books too! I just bought 2 that I can't WAIT to start!: The Pact by Jodi Picoult & The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I am also reading For one more day by mitch albom-fyi-he's first 2 books were extraordinary!, this one is shaping up to be just as good. Oh, Oh! And I read eat, pray, love, and there were parts where i was bored, and losing interest, but it is powerful too...got me back into yoga at least. :)