2.20.2008

Something bigger than ourselves.

Tonight, Derick and I watched the lunar eclipse. We sat on the driveway with the moon in clear view. It was really awesome to see the moon fade in the bright white color and darken to a deep brownish red color.

We set up Derick's telescope and scanned the skies for Saturn because we heard you might be able to see Saturn's rings if you had a telescope.

Let me tell you the elation I felt when I saw Saturn and the rings. It was nothing short of a utter euphoria. I actually felt tears come to my eyes. That's how amazing it was.

I've seen a million pictures in school earth science books and probably images on tv, but this. This was different. I saw Saturn! And Saturn's rings!

Derick and I were like little kids who had just discovered peanut butter and sugar sandwiches. We were giddy and talking in loud pronounced voices. We changed out the telescope lens to see if we could get a closer look. We called people and told them what we were actually seeing with our own eyes.

It was simply amazing. It was even more amazing to realize that we are such a small part of our universe.

If you didn't get a chance to see Saturn's ring, you can again in 2010. I highly recommend it. Derick and I have a date for the year 2010. Hopefully we will both be just as amazed as we were tonight.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would have been so awesome to see. I LOVE Saturn, always did think it was the coolest of the planets.

(I am such a nerd.)

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I am jealous! It was pouring here so we couldn't even see the eclipse. There was no sky last night.

Jess said...

That is so cool. I have never looked through a telescope before and now I totally want to. I'm glad you and Derick were able to share that moment.

Emily Main said...

Oh I never do these things. I'm very jealous. I'll totally try for it in 2010.

Moll said...

telescopes are so awesome. If you can't wait to see Saturn again until 2010 you can always go to an observatory and look through their giant telescopes. So amazing.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I wanted to take pics and video of the eclipse but like Raven said the weather was complete ass.

Anonymous said...

If you didn't read my post, I got a telescope for my 30th birthday, and I was just as excited as you two about the rings of saturn!! way cool, huh?

ps. this is now the 2nd time I have seen Eric sans you! I don't know if he told you, but I saw him at Flips friday nite.

Le Petit Chic said...

That is so neat! I missed it all. And what a nice moment to share with Derick :)