12.04.2008

ReadyMade

My parents are sort of extravagant with the new fangled technology things they get. My mom got a digital camera when they were fairly new and spent a small fortune. My dad has a thing for these new blue ray players now. I'm still not entirely sure what a blue ray player is besides to play a movie. I have been known to splurge on new technology from time to time, too. I remember my first DVD player, it cost me well over $200. The one in my living room now? DVD/VCR combo that cost maybe $50.

The one item I just cannot justify spending money on right now is a wall mounted plasma television. Boy how I drool when I see them and I just want to sell my first born (and second if need be) to obtain such a non bulky piece of technology. The price is what keeps me far far away from children's black market. (And also maybe the love of my children.)

But, people, guess what. I will be getting a wall mounted plasma television on my very own living room wall any day now! As I said just a few paragraphs ago, the parental unit loves the new fancy technology so they are replacing there barely 3 years old plasma television with a fancier, larger television. I have no idea the size, 40 inches? 36? It's doesn't matter because I love that television. I look forward to seeing it hang on the wall in all it's (FREE!!!) glory.

Here's my dilemma, though. I am getting rid of the television that I currently have which means that the stand that the television sits on must go to. My DVR box, DVD/VCR and tuner will have no home. And since I'm on a budget I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of furniture. Since it won't even hold a television it's only requirement is that it must look nice and hold the above items.

As I was searching for a style I liked I found my dream cabinet/used to be a dresser.

This is the before picture.


And after. It's glorious, no?

I realize it's not for everyone, but it's definitely for me. I just love how the old is new again and it's just so lovely. I'm pretty sure I've convinced my dad to help me do this project. I'm on the hunt for a cheap solid wood dresser/buffet to convert into an awesome media cabinet. I love the gorgeous shade of blue and who knows, I might use a similar color. I'm not a dumpster diver, but maybe now would be a good time to start?

5 comments:

Drew's Adventures said...

Do you remember my parents set up? They have the antique dresser (the left the drawers in it though) that hold all their goodies like games, game systems, movies etc. I know you aren't looking for antique since your style is a little more mod but, if you left the drawers in you could paint them different colors than the rest of the dresser to bring all your colors together in one place? Just a thought!

Kristabella said...

I LOVE it!

I'm buying myself one of those new flat screen TVs. It's part of my "you have leftover severance money" present to myself. I'm waiting until all the good sales after Xmas, I think. Because I have too much shit going on right to be thinking about something THAT BIG!

YAY for big TVs!

Anonymous said...

OOooo, that look so cool!

Sarah said...

Whoa, that looks awesome! I hope you do it, because I can't wait to see what it ends up looking like!

Marci said...

Awesome! Will your parents adopt me?