12.09.2008

It's good to be Queen

Exercise has always been one of those things that I know I should do but I've never really been motivated to do it. Sure I've joined my share of gyms and purchased a decent amount of workout gear. I've made the effort to exercise for a week or two and then life always seems to get in the way. Or maybe I get in my own way. That's probably more like it. We are our own worst enemies, aren't we?

Something shifted a few months ago and I stopped getting in my own way. I stopped making excuses for why I couldn't get the exercise I knew I needed. I still have days when I lace up my shoes a little slower than usual and I sometimes still reduce the speed on the treadmill even though I know I am capable of much more. But most days I work out everyday. I started running not long ago and the first time I ran I made it a quarter of a mile before I thought I might pass out. Just last Sunday I ran almost 2 and a half miles and I probably could have kept going if I wouldn't have needed to be somewhere.

The first time I ran an entire mile without stopping tears actually came to my eyes because I had done it! Even in high school gym I walked after barely an eighth of a mile. It just wasn't important to me then. It's still not the act of running itself that's important, it the act of pushing myself and taking care of the only body I have. I only get this one shot to take care of this body that takes care of me and I want it to last a long long time.

Yesterday I was rewarded for all the hard work and perseverance I've put forth. At my gym the person who comes to workout the most in each month is crowned "Queen of the Gym". Last night I was give a dozen roses, a certificate for a free one hour massage, 2 free personal training sessions and my name prominently displayed on my very own locker. In the middle of my workout I was taken to the front of the gym, made to wear a tiara and a feather boa while it was announced to the whole place that I was the Queen. My friend, Debi, even brought her camera to take pictures because I think she knew what a big deal it was for me.

Sure, it sounds hokey to some, but it was positive proof that my hard work is paying off. When the gym owner told me I had made it this month I swelled with pride and I proved to myself that I could do it, all it took was a little pushing myself out of my own way.

8 comments:

Debi said...

I am so proud of you!!I knew you could do it, now you just have to do it again :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I have fallen off the wagon hard, I really need to get back on my Wii Fit.

Anonymous said...

Aw, congrats Kristie. I am proud of you, too, but all that matters is that you're proud of yourself. xoxo.

M said...

I am VERY proud of you, busssss!

I need to get my butt in gear! I wish we had a gym around here that did such fun things in order to encourage their members!

Gold stars to you, my love!

Anonymous said...

You have done a wonderful job!! I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work. I know the next few months will be challenging, but you can do it!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! You really did accomplish something great-be proud you deserve it!

Kristabella said...

Good for you sweetie! You're making me motivated to go home and start the 30 Day Shred!

Unknown said...

Go you! I'm super proud of yourself. Can you please send me some time and motivation so that I can too?