1.07.2009

Home sweet home

First I want to thank the three lovely ladies who filled in for me while I was away. Jennie is a wonderful friend and I'm insanely lucky to call her one. Danielle is one of those people that reminds you that there are excellent quality people still in the world. Jess has the kindhearted spirit that just makes me calmer. Thank you ladies, I really appreciate you stepping in for me.

This past week ran the gamut of emotions. Taking your 13-year-old son 1,300 miles away to live with his Dad just plain 'ol sucks. I saw his new home, met his new teachers, took him to his nearest Walmart to get school supplies and snacks, admired the mountain top view from his home, and cried buckets when his new school denied him access to be a student because of the bureaucracy that exists. (It's still a work in progress to get him in school. But it's even more delayed because of the bad weather there and school's being closed.)

We had some good times during our week together. We played many games of Scrabble, one of which I won using the word 'sex'. We had our tarot cards read by my aunt and laughed with her because her neighbors were so loud on New Years Eve that our butts were vibrating in our chairs. We ate takeout pizza and overpriced Italian food. We spent lots of time at the Book Loft in German Village in Columbus, Ohio. We got lost about a million times in the downtown streets of Cumberland, MD. We watched the same Star Wars movie twice and high-fived each other when we drove from one location to another location without needing the GPS to guide us.

I'm gonna miss that kid for sure and I know that won't go away anytime soon but I think what I'm doing is the right thing. Hopefully in 10 years I'll look back and pat myself on the back because I'll know then that this, moving my son so far away, is the best choice. Please, please let that be the case.

:::::::::

The one constant of the whole trip was the permanent knot that took up residence in my stomach. I'm sure that had something to do with the massive amounts of crap I ate. Mix that with stress and you have an unhappy body. Being vegan doesn't always equate to healthy and that was never more the case than on this trip.

In an effort to calm the beast in my belly and rid myself of all the junk I'm attempting a "Kristie" version of a fasting or cleanse diet. I've loaded up on fresh fruits, veggies, 100%juices, raw nuts and teas. I am going to try for a 10 day goal. Who knows if it will work, but it's got to be better than eating Taco Bell and Swedish Fish, right?

:::::::::

Gah! Where is my brain! I forgot to mention that I got to spend some time bargain shopping with the always adorable, Katie. We are bonded forever because we both bought the same makeup bag at J. Crew. Thanks for the company, Katie, I had a blast!

6 comments:

La Petite Chic said...

I think you are a wonderful mom for doing something that pained you, but was right for your son. I'm so glad I got to see on Saturday :)

Anonymous said...

*HUG*

I am so proud of you for attempting to do right by your son, even though it's killing you to do it. I know how hard it is and I'm here for you honey.

I'm also wicked jealous that you got to see Katie!

Anonymous said...

You're a fabulously strong mama doing so right by your son....and I'm so sorry to have missed you yesterday. :( Its good I didn't come down...the roads were fine but by the afternoon I was feeling really rotten with a cold.

Kristabella said...

Welcome back!

I'm sure it was so, so, so hard. A kind of hard I could never imagine. But I honestly believe you are doing the right thing.

I'm glad that overall you had a good trip! Now come to Chicago! :)

Anonymous said...

I think you made the right decision. It sucks, it's hard, it hurts, but I do think you are right: it will pay off.
Thanks for the compliment. You are so sweet!
Now....DRINKS!!

TUWABVB said...

I can't even begin to imagine how hard this trip was for you but you did the right thing! And good for you for treating yourself to a new make-up bag! You deserve even more!