10.07.2008

Crunching numbers.

In May of last year I went to get my cholesterol rechecked because it was too "high" according to the doctors. I hadn't been back to check the numbers again until last week. My momma convinced me to go get everything checked now that I'm eating totally differently from how I was eating just a year ago.

I'm ecstatic to report that I'm no longer in the increased risk department for heart disease!!!!!!!!!!!

A rundown of my numbers:

Total cholesterol:
Before; 253
Now; 180
Difference of -73

Here's a chart of what these mean:
Less than 200 is best.
200 to 239 is borderline high.
240 or more means you're at increased risk for heart disease.

LDL (bad) cholesterol:
Before; 161
Now; 110
Difference of -51

Here's a chart of what these mean:
Below 100 is ideal for people who have a higher risk of heart disease.
100 to 129 is near optimal.
130 to 159 is borderline high.
160 or more means you're at a higher risk for heart disease.

HDL (good) cholesterol:
Before; 43
Now; 42
Difference of +1

Here's a chart of what these mean:
Less than 40 means you're at higher risk for heart disease.
60 or higher greatly reduces your risk of heart disease.

(This is the one I'm confused about. Obviously this is the only number that I want to go up and it did, barely. I've got to research how to raise this number to 60 or higher.)

I about jumped for joy because hello!? this means that I'm not a vegan for nothing. I feel better and this is probably one reason why.

:::::::::

In other news...

I got all greedy and applied to get BlogHer ads to generate a few bucks. See it over there on the right?

I'm hoping that with the economy in the toilet that maybe I can take this money and put it under my mattress. It won't earn anything in the way of dividends or interest, but at least I know where it will be.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very, very cool for you!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I wish I had your willpower!

Kristabella said...

That's awesome! Good work!

Soxy Lady said...

Congrats on the good news! That's a fantastic improvement.

I just wanted to let you know, since I think you're a cool chick, I tagged you on my blog: http://soxylady.blogspot.com/2008/10/tag-im-it.html

Unknown said...

red grapes are the only thing I can remember my dr telling me to eat for my good cholesterol count.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Carrie said...

Kristie - this REALLY gives me great hope that a vegan diet will work!! Thank you so much for posting your numbers and commenting on my blog! It's nice to "meet" you!! ;-) Happy Friday!