4.18.2009

21 day cleanse (SCARY!!)

Tomorrow I'm starting a 21 day cleanse. I thought it would be interesting, at least to me, to blog about it each day. The point of this cleanse is to detoxify my body of all the built up nastiness that it just doesn't need. (Easter candy, I'm talking to you.) It's basically a mostly raw vegan diet so it shouldn't be a HUGE departure from my regular diet, but it's going to take some planning and willpower and LOOOOOOTS of support. Fortunately I have a detox buddy and since she's done this before so I'm hoping to get a wealth of knowledge from her and be smart about this. The other point of this cleanse is to get in touch with what my body really needs and really take care of it.

I started a semi-regular yoga practice a few weeks ago and I've really begun to appreciate my body and how it has carried me through so much even when I abused it and put it last. I actually thank my body after each yoga practice for showing up and being present everyday, it's the only one I have and it's about time I started thanking it and caring for it the right way.

It's funny how one little thing can change your whole outlook on life and yourself. I'm approaching my one year "veganniversary" and it feels so right. I've taken advantage of the fact that Swedish Fish are vegan, though, and that's, partially, where the cleanse comes in. I'm nervous and excited and prepared. I went to the store today and loaded up on fresh fruits and veggies, some I've never even tried before. The variety is IMMENSE. I got strawberries, beets, bananas, spinach, avocados, lemons, raisins, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, onions, celery, acorn squash, cucumber, carrots, blackberries, clementines, mustard greens, heirloom tomatoes, peppers of all different colors and many other things.

It's going to be a tough 21 days, but one I hope will enlighten me and one I hope to start strong and continue strong all the way through.

4 comments:

M said...

You can do it!!!!

I love fresh produce. Sam's Club always seems to have great fruits... blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc. So delicious!

I look forward to reading about your cleanse and I wish you all of the best of luck!

Busssssssssssssss!
xoox

She Likes Purple said...

You're inspirational. I may never become vegan but everyone should be more conscious and aware of what they're eating.

Raven said...

I'm curious what you haven't tried before, in that list?

I have a great recipe for a thai squash soup it has coconut and curry. I'll send it along and maybe you can use it when you are back to cooked foods :)

Sarah said...

wow go you! I have always wanted to do a cleanse but I lack the know how about how to put an effective on together. can't wait to hear all about it