6.03.2008

I too, am a Hungry Girl.

My youngest son's babysitter, and friend, Debi bought a cook book recently that I had heard of. I still can't remember where I heard about the book from, but I distinctly remember hearing about it. In the book is a recipe for low fat peanut butter fudge. Is that an oxymoron or what? That was all it took. I'm soooo there.

I went to my favorite online shop that carries practically everything you could ever want and placed my order for the cookbook. It finally came in the mail after a few days and I couldn't wait to crack it open and see what recipes were inside. Boy was I surprised to see that the recipes were extremely low in fat and calories and a lot of the recipes were insanely high in fiber. Weight Watchers people, you know that's a good thing. I was also surprised that these were simple enough recipes with just a few ingredients for most of the recipes. This pleases the 12 year old in the family because he can pronounce all the ingredients.
I made a grocery list and headed to my local store to stock up on stuff to make a few recipes for my family and a few things just for me.

My first recipe I made was Jalapeno Swappers. It's jalapeno poppers without the popping of the pants that become too tight because of all the fat and calories. Now, I'm no expert on jalapeno poppers at all because, honestly, I've never even had them at restaurants but that's neither here not there. I took photographic evidence to show you guys this recipe. The ENTIRE recipe is only 4 points for you Weight Watcher's fans. I could only eat 1/2 of it and was satisfied.

See the recipe book in the background? It's my new bible. In the front we have 5 fresh jalapenos, store brand fat free cream cheese and fat free cheddar cheese. The background shows my lovely pepper and salt mills, Egg Beaters and Fiber One cereal. Don't get all freaked out with the cereal part. I promise, it's not that bad.



In the recipe book it specifically says to be careful with the jalapenos. I've worked with jalapenos before and I should have known better. I think my eye is still stinging because I stuck my finger in my eye. I know.

This is the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper mixed together.

The Fiber One is the 'breadcrumbs'. Get it?! It's awesome and that's how you get all the good-for-you fiber.

Nicely ground. I just love my mini food processor.

Egg Beaters and 'breadcrumbs' ready and waiting!

Jalapenos stuffed and ready to be dipped.

Ready to be baked. See my much loved baking sheet? I really need a new one.

Hot out of the oven. YUUUUMMMMMY!
The only thing I would have done differently was to cook them longer because I got the hottest batch of jalapenos on the planet earth. My eyes were watering and my nose was dripping like a faucet. But they were so good, I couldn't stop.
Since I made this recipe I've made several more with many more on an upcoming menu. I made a low fat, low calorie version of an Egg McMuffin...only 3 points. A version of Rice Krispy treats that were only 1 point. And lastly, Chili Cheese Nachos aka OMG THESE ARE FREAKIN' AWESOME, at 4 points per serving! And tonight we had pepperoni pizza at 3 points pers serving. I plan to make Shepard's pie and 'fried' chicken strips sometime this week.
Is it obvious I'm in love with my cookbook? Maybe just a touch.
:::::::::
If you want your own cookbook you can get it at probably any book store. Here's where I got mine.
Also, you can sign up online to get newsletters and recipes sent straight to your inbox. How cool is that?

5 comments:

Moll said...

Very intriguing! How South Beach friendly is it? I need more recipes.

Anonymous said...

I just bought it! Looks fantastic!

SLynnRo said...

I was on the fence about buying it (I already get the emails), but now I'm leaning toward purchase.

Kristabella said...

I just ate dinner and this made me so hungry! I don't like jalapeno poppers, but I'll definitely buy it for nachos and peanut butter fudge!

Anonymous said...

I really want this book! Now I'm convinced IT.MUST.BE.MINE. :)